Showing posts tagged end of year
Yes friends – it’s almost time to bid farewell to 2012. But with so many crazy headlines this past year, Ask teamed up with Harris Interactive to gauge Americans’ thoughts about 2012’s biggest news stories and, of course, to see which stories our users asked the most about. “Will Rob and Kristen get back together?” is officially the top trending question of 2012 making Kristen Stewart the person users most wanted to know about. But there was so much more to 2012 than everyone’s favorite Twilight couple…take a look at what else piqued Ask users’ curiosities…
- While Psy hit #3 on the Ask.com top asked-about celeb charts, he was chosen as the #1 breakout star of 2012 by Americans polled (13% chose Psy as 2012’s breakout star), from a list including One Direction (11%), Honey Boo Boo (10%), Jennifer Lawrence (8%) and Carly Rae Jepsen (7%).
- Only 16% of Americans included Snooki on the list of most popular celebrities of 2012 but who would have expected that more people over the age of 35 felt this way (33%) than those between 18-34 years of age (30%)?
- There was a flood of celebrity engagements but who will get married first – Angelina Jolie or Jennifer Anniston? 26% of Americans are placing their bets that Jennifer will tie the knot first. We’ll see…
Makes us wonder how our 2012 opinions will shift with next year’s headlines…Here’s to 2013!
- Suraya Akbarzad, Ask.com
Believe it or not, 2011 is quickly coming to a close and 2012 is just around the corner. Which means it’s time for our annual look back on the rumors, gossip and news that captured Ask users’ attention this year. Since people come to Ask with a lot of questions, instead of just search terms, we compiled the top trending questions of the year. Ready?
In a surprise upset, curvaceous queen of the reality TV overshare, Kim Kardashian edged out Justin Bieber to take home the honors for the top trending question in 2011. Guess what they asked? Well, keep reading.
Or, are you more of a viewer than a reader? Then check out our cool little video
Of course Bieber Fever dominated all year, but Kim K. knocked J. Biebs out of the top spot with the her fairytale wedding, followed shortly by a dramatic and (unexpected?) split.
Our #1? Kim Kardashian: Was Kim Kardashian’s wedding fake?
Runner up? Justin Bieber: Is Justin Bieber going to be a dad?
Sadly, nature showed her destructive side again this year and two major disasters took the top two spots for questions most asked about news items.
1. Earthquake in Japan: How big was the earthquake in Japan?
2. Hurricane Irene: What caused Hurricane Irene?
Another force of nature, Amy Winehouse, also made the top ten due to her untimely death. The news of Winehouse’s death was heard around the world — transcending the celebrity pages to become one of the biggest news items of the year.
Is it election year? Who can tell these days, but the Democrats vs. Republicans showdown is well underway and a number of notables kept popping up all year.
1. Barack Obama: Will Obama get re-elected?
2. Mitt Romney: What is Mitt Romney’s religion?
But the questions we get don’t just identify the most popular figures and events of 2011. For the first time, we took the top questions to predict the headlines of the year to come. Nice.
Based on thousands of questions, we predict 2012… (imagine a drum roll):
1. George Clooney wins his second AND third Academy Award
2. Dr. Oz surpasses Dr. Phil in ratings in a post-Oprah world
3. Green Bay Packers win Super Bowl second year in a row
4. McDonald’s adds the McRib to their permanent menu
5. New York reclaims its spot as top the US travel destination from 2011 leader Orlando
6. Breakout star of 2011, Nicki Minaj, leapfrogs pop icon Katy Perry in album sales
7. Pippa jumps onto the list of top ten baby names of the year
8. Facebook goes public with world’s largest IPO
9. Tiger Woods retires from golf
And, finally…Will the world end in 2012?
10. Yeah, pretty sure IT WON’T
Alright. Now we can all go back to braving the cold weather, the shopping madness, the food, the peppermint mochas, the family and the presents. I’ll be right there with you.
Robbie Waeschenfelder, Director, Marketing & Trendy Trend Expert